Thursday, August 7, 2008

Thursday, August 7, 2008








So, it's definitely been a while since I've had the chance to post anything, but fortunately for all of you it's been a slow start to the trip, so there won't be pages and pages of stories here. I thought I'd give you all some basic info about where we're living and who we're living with.


Back to the family, we are currently staying in the Nzeng-Ayong quarter of Libreville, the capital city of Gabon at Landry’s mom’s house. She has an amazing, huge house with a kitchen anyone who loves to cook would kill for! There’s a very spacious living room/dining room area, five bedrooms, three bathrooms (including a private one in the room Landry and I are staying in), a front porch, and a set of six apartments out back that Landry’s mom rents out. Staying in the house currently are Landry’s mom, who everyone refers to as Tanty, his cousin Afi and her two adorable kids Sibelle, 6, and Herwan, 3, Landry’s younger brother Christopher, but we all call him Mignon, and his 1 ½ year old niece, Maelys (Mya-lees). Maelys usually lives with her mom, Landry’s older sister Georgia, and her dad, but since she’d never met us they thought it would be good for her to stay in the house with us for a while to get to know us. Not quite as many people as I was living with in Benin and definitely in larger living quarters, but it’s the same feeling of family. I've attached some pics of the family, but I haven't quite figured out how to give them captions, so any questions just send me an email!


I've included a picture of Landry losing pool to me twice in a row on Wednesday night. For those of you who know how coordinated he is, I've got to gloat publically on the rare occasions when I beat him in something!!


And last but not least, the adventure of the week! Two nights ago we were laying in bed, watching a Dave Chapelle DVD at some ungodly hour of the night because neither Landry or I have quite gotten the timing right yet for sleep, when out of the corner of my eye I swore I saw something move by my foot, but I didn't react until Landry jumped a little too. I think we both saw it at the same time and I don't think either of us have moved quite so fast in a long time. Crawling across our bed was the BIGGEST black bug I've ever seen in my life. I wish I had a picture to upload but I was too busy standing on the toilet seat screaming while Landry was smashing the bug with his flip flop. Needless to say, we laughed at ourselves for quite some time!

No comments: